Can i make a living off giving piano lessons?
I have a extensive background in piano and BA in education.
I want to teach piano fulltime in my basement or garage. I have no clients yet .
Please answer theses questions:
1. Can i make a great living off of it
2. how do i get clients.
3. how much to charge, how long
4 should i give the students a contract or just pay by lesson as they go?
1-4 of your questions are matched up with 1-4 of my answers with additional tips at the bottom.
1.yes you can make a living off of it.
2. post online(example kijiji.com offering piano lessons)
word of mouth(just tell some of your friends & ask them to tell their friends)
print flyers & post them on doors in a neighborhood nearby(make sure you put on the posters that if they can’t use your services to tell their friends about it.)
3. these prices are for each student. the more students you have the less you charge.
for 1 student $80 a month(1 30 minute lesson a week)
for 2 $60 a month( 1 30 minute lesson a week)
for 3 or more $40 a month(130 minute lesson a week)
if they want to do longer lessons charge $10 for 30 extra minutes.
4. let the parents choose if they want to pay for each lesson.(in which case you do $20 a lesson)
each month(see above)
by semester(fall, christmas break, spring, summer break)
fall(september – november) above prices times 2.5
christmas break(december) above prices
spring(January – April) above prices times 3.5
summer break(3 lessons a month)(May – August) above prices times 3.5
yearly(above prices times 11.5)
5. offer them the choice of you coming to them or them coming to you.
6. you might also consider getting a part-time job(nights and weekends only) for a little while until you get more business
P.S. this took a little while to do but i answered all of your questions.